- Power to torment people (Revelation 9:1-11; Luke 8:27-31).
- Immense power; four angels are released to kill 1/3rd of humans (Revelation 9:14,15).
- Considerable influences over the whole world (2 Corinthians 4:4; 1 John 5:19; in Matthew 4, remember Jesus did not question Satan’s right to grant Him the world’s kingdom).
- Crafty, deliberate deception (Genesis 3:1-5, 13).
- Transforms, disguises or masquerades as good spirits (2 Corinthians 11:14-15).
- A certain number of rebellious angels are not confined (2 Peter 2:4-5, Jude 6-7); the result of apparent sexual engagement with human females (the exact term “Sons of God,” bene elohim, is only used of angels in the Old Testament).
- Produces insanity and great physical strength (Luke 8:26-35).
- Inducing sickness for 18 years; producing suffering and deformities (Luke 13:10-17).
- Power over nature: the devil produces whirlwinds, fire from heaven, and great miracles in the presence of people (Job 1:16-19; Revelation 13:13).
- Power over the human body: the enemy produces painful boils on Job (Job 2:7).
- Dumbness, blindness, and epilepsy; attempted murder ( Matthew 9:32, 33; 12:22; 17:15, 18).
- Multiple possession; apparently seeking “rest” by possessing humans (Luke 8:30; 11:24-26; Matthew 12:43-45).
- Convulsions, child possession, mauling (Luke 9:38-39).
- Possessing animals (Matthew 8:30-32).
- A limited ability to tell the future (Acts 16:16). Demons are not omniscient.
- Anger, great strength, and power (Acts 19:16).
- Treacherous natures, scheme wickedly, attack humans (Ephesians 6:10-16; Judges 9:23).
- Animals may recognize them (Numbers 22:23-27).
- Supernatural power to travel (Job 1:7).
- Instantaneous projection of a false reality (Matthew 4:8).
- Ability to remove thoughts, to implant thoughts, and to manipulate the mind (John 13:2; Matthew 13:19, 38-39).
- Moral corruption, deception, and murder (John 8:44).
- Possession of humans (Matthew 8:28; John 13:27).
- Great wrath (Revelation 12:12).
- Ability to incite betrayal in people (Luke 22:3-4).
- Cause physical ailments (2 Corinthians 4:4).
- Deceives the nations (Revelation 12:9; 20:7-8).
- Invisibility, but an awareness of their presence (Job4:15).
- Ability to terrorize (1 Samuel 16:14-15).
- Possibly assume human form (Genesis 19:11-10; John 20:12 Acts 12:8-9; Hebrews 13:2). If good angels can physically manifest would God allow bad angels to do so too?
- To an extent, duplicating the miracles of God, changing sticks to snakes, water to blood, control over animals (Exodus 7:10-12, 20-22; 8:6-7; 2 Thessalonians 2:9).
- Defilement or demonization through occult practices and human sacrifice (Deuteronomy 18:9-13).
- Limited ability over events and human actions (1 Chronicles 21:1; Daniel 10:13; 1 Thessalonians 2:18).
- Destroying the flesh; power of death (1 Corinthians 5:5; Hebrews 2:14).
- Tempt with evil (1 Corinthians 7:5).
- Objects of pagan worship (Deuteronomy 32:17; 1 Corinthians 10:20; Colossians 2:18).
- Behind child sacrifice, abortions, and murder (Psalm 106:37).
- Behind oppression (Acts 10:38).
- Manipulate humans for their own goals (Revelation 2:10).
- Pervert the ways of God (Acts 13:10).
- Plausible they can communicate by speech to humans since good angels can (1 Kings 13:18; Acts 23:9).
- Vast in number even when they are 1/3rd the number of Jesus’ angels (Hebrews 12:22; Daniel 7:10; Revelation 12:4).
- Speak to men, control of vocal cords, paralysis and possession (Luke 1:19-20).
- Preach a false Gospel and deception about God (1 Kings 22:19-23; Galatians 1:8; 1 Timothy 4:1; 1 John 5:1).
This goes to show that demons have more power and influence than most people realize. Almost everything in the list is duplicated somewhere in the world of the occult or false religions. For examples, they give false visions and revelations in dreams or through channeling, automatic writing, and so on. They can possess people, perform various miracles, cause insanity or cause a person to commit murder. They can also produce physical ailments, sickness, or mental torments. They can even predict the future (albeit to an extent as only God knows the beginning to the end). They seek the worship of people as they are proud and egocentric, to pervert God’s ways, and can assume any form. They encourage occult practices, manipulate the human mind by impressing thoughts, ideas, or images but their end goal is to deceive and lead people further away from Jesus Christ and ultimately in the lake of fire where they are headed.
The methods of or mechanism to contact are typically those in the world of the occult through altered states of consciousness, meditation, developing psychic abilities, divination, drug use, witchcraft and so on.
With the devil’s lies so widespread and the great extent of his abilities one may feel overwhelmed and discouraged but remember the Lord Jesus Christ overcame the world (John 16:33) and He has given us the word to stand on to uncover the enemy’s lies.
Hebrews 4:12 “12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
Ephesians 6:14-17 “14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:“
If you don’t know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you can receive Him into your heart and He can deliver you from darkness and sin and have your name written in His Book of Life.
If you are sincere you can say this simple prayer to the Father (it doesn’t have to be word for word):
“God, I recognize that I have not lived my life for You up until now. I have been living for myself and that is wrong. Please forgive me of all of my sins just as I forgive others. I need You in my life; I want You in my life. I acknowledge the completed work of Your only begotten Son Jesus Christ in giving His life for me on the cross, I believe in my heart Jesus is Lord and was raised from the dead and I long to receive the forgiveness you have made freely available to me through this sacrifice. Come into my life now, Lord. Take up residence in my heart and be my king, my Lord, and my Savior. From this day forward, I will no longer be controlled by sin, or the desire to please myself, but I will follow You all the days of my life. Those days are in Your hands. I ask this in the Lord and GOD Jesus’ precious and holy name. Amen.”