Generational Curses – Inheriting Demons From Ancestors

“5 thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” (Exodus 20:5-6)

generations___five_generations_of_hands__L-R__grandma__dad__…___Flickr

I once prayed for deliverance over a young child who was staying with his aunt. The aunt, who herself as demonic issues, contacted me to ask if I think her nephew has demons. The aunt suspected there must be something wrong with the boy (about between the age of 5-10) on a spiritual level when he asked his cousin, who is her daughter, to kiss him. That’s strange, what would compel a boy to ask his own cousin to kiss him? So, I prayed for deliverance for him and sure enough, an evil spirit manifested.

Children can have demons as a result of the parents (or grandparents or great-grandparents) sins. We suspected one of his forefathers may have brought this perverse spirit into his family line. The aunt and I discussed what could have opened the door to the enemy, and she told me that her forefather was involved in incest.

Generational curses or intergenerational (“familial”) demons were something I was a tad bit skeptical about as I thought it is not explicitly clear in scriptures (although conversely, scriptures do not contradict the idea of generational curses). But how else can one explain how a young child can have an evil spirit? It couldn’t be by his own sins because he was just a child. In Jesus’ ministry of a severely demonized boy, Jesus finds out from the father that his son had been in such a horrible condition “from childhood” (Mark 9:21). The demonization was therefore not the result of the boy’s own sin or his choice to worship false gods. The spirits were passed onto him from some other source, which most likely is his family. I have expelled evil spirits from many other people that confirms to me that people can indeed inherit evil spirits from their ancestors. So, it’s not always by the person’s own sins a person is demonized. We are not guilty because of our ancestors’ sins, but they can surely affect us.

Studies in non-Christian religions and occultism reveal transference from ancestors to be a fact. But what about what the Bible reads? Jewish heads of households knew whatever they did would affect their families for generations. God told them so multiple times (Exodus 20:5-6; Exodus 34:7; Deuteronomy 5:9b-10; Deuteronomy 23:2; Deuteronomy 28:15-18; Numbers 14:18; Jeremiah 16:10-11; Jeremiah 32:18). During trouble, they stood before God and confessed the sins of their family, even of their countryman. Cases of this are found in Nehemiah 1:4-9; Jeremiah 14:20; and Daniel 9:1-19. The Jews knew that the grievous sins of the fathers could affect future generations. The principle is that family sin or judgment for that sin flows through the family line, affecting the succeeding generations who had nothing to do with the sins in question. We can see examples of this by observing the sons of the priest Eli (1 Samuel 2:12-36), the consequence of Ahab’s sins passed on to his son’s house (1 Kings 21:29), the descendants of Shemaiah punished because their father taught rebellion against the Lord (Jeremiah 29:32), and the trouble David had with his sons (part of the punishment from God for David’s sin was the death of his child as written in 2 Samuel 12:14-18) – that the consequence of a father’s sin falls into the lap of future generations (Jeremiah 32:18). It is God’s prerogative how He deals with punishment for unresolved sin. One means of this may be to allow the enemy to affect the descendants of unrepentant sinners.

One Christian author gives this insight:

Anyone who works long enough with people will notice that certain family behaviors, both desirable and undesirable, are repetitive. Thus, a father who models discipline and faithfulness may inculcate these traits in his son. On the other hand, a man who is given to indulgence in pornography, or a man who cannot control his temper, may pass on these weaknesses to his children. Such traits vary from physical indulgences to criticism, bitterness and anger. Of course, these are mostly behaviors learned by a child in a family-of-origin context. But what if distinct traits of a grandfather show up in a grandson even though the two have had very little contact? Are these transmitted genetically? Perhaps. Very likely both genetic predisposition and learned behavior are interrelated. One reinforces the other.

There is a third possibility: the activity of “familial” spirits that operate in connection with family lineage. Here’s the given: The devil attacks and exploits unconfessed sin. If sin occurs and remains unresolved, especially sin related to idolatry or witchcraft, the enemy has a legal right of accusation. Combining the biblical principle of the visitation of the sins of the fathers on the children with clinical data from deliverance sessions, we observe a connection between genealogical sin and oppression in current generations. Satan’s goal is to perpetuate his strongholds. But let me make one point very clear: Even if I have a heritage saturated with sin and iniquity and have to deal with the harassment of familiar spirits, I am not personally responsible and accountable for those ancestral sins. I am held responsible for my own moral compromises.

Here’s a hypothetical illustration: Let’s say that my great-grandmother practiced occultism. She would have consorted with spirits and received certain powers of divination. She went to her grave unrepentant and unredeemed, her sin unresolved before God. What happens to those divining and deceiving spirits when she dies? Where do they go? They will probably try to stay within the family. The typical scenario is that these spirits will transfer to the daughter or granddaughter, or cross over to the male line. The spirits claim a right to remain in the family based on the unrepentant or unresolved sin. A generation or two later, I enter the picture and come into the kingdom of God. If, at the time of conversion, I do not sufficiently separate and break from these spiritual connections, I may experience some significant oppression and resistance to my growth in grace. Typically, this is evidenced by significant struggles to read the Bible, to pray or to experience the joy of the Lord.

(Tom White, The Believer’s Guide to Spiritual Warfare, 92-93)

Photo_archive_chronicles_3_generations_of_a_family_s_Pittsburgh_story_-_Pittsburgh_news_-_NewsLocker

Christian authors, Ankerberg and Weldon wrote:

We know that certain sins committed by the parents in the physical realm can seriously affect-even deform or kill- an unborn child. This would include alcohol or drug addiction and many sexually transmitted diseases like herpes, syphilis, and AIDS. We also know that the physical and emotional sins of parents can also leave lasting scars on their children as in incest, emotional withdrawal, and physical abuse. Can we be sure, then, that the spiritual area is exempt from visiting the sins of the parents on the children? Why are some children “born” psychic?…

(The Coming Darkness, 208).

Dr. Kurt E Koch, theologian and author, lists scores of examples where children of occult practitioners have suffered emotionally even though they were not directly involved in such practices themselves, wrote:

It is actually quite usual for such a marriage [of occultists] to produce children who are severely oppressed.

(Occult ABC, 275).

He also noted:

It is indeed a fact established by some 600 examples from pastoral experience with those involved in the occult, that prolonged occult practice creates a corresponding psychological constitution, a susceptibility, an inclination, a breeding-ground for various psychological disorders. In a long series of cases it has been possible to establish that occult subjection is an especially marked psychological constitution lasting through four succeeding generations of the same family.

(Christian Counseling and Occultism, 117-118).

Moreover, he wrote:

It is clear in a number of cases that charmers, spiritists, and sorcerers bring oppression on their descendants to the third and fourth generations. This accords with the second of the Ten Commandments, which speaks of “visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate God.

(Occult ABC, 276).

Four_Generations___I_had_four_generations_of_women_in_my_hou…___Flickr.png

He gives many examples, found in his book Christian Counseling and Occultism, which are indicative of the impact one person can have on his family and even succeeding generations:

(Case 60) Although she had a [magical] charm for every disease of man and beast, she was unable to control the psychological sufferings of her own posterity. From her own children down to her grand-children, an enormous variety of psychological disorders are to be observed….

(Case 61) Her grandmother was a charmer for many years. Her oldest son, the father of the girl who came to me, was harassed by suicidal thoughts. The second son hanged himself. This first granddaughter had fits of mania….

(Case 62) After years of successful [demonic] healing practice, his own mind became disturbed. He was taken to a mental institution. Two of his children the same fate. The whole family had psychological disturbances for several generations.

(Case 63) Her grandfather worked with magic books and conducted occult experiments. Finally he became blind. He burned his magic books and warned his children that they must not continue his occult practices because he had become blind as a result of them. In the following generation as astounding picture of psychological abnormalities presented itself. The son was an alcoholic. The granddaughter is a clairvoyant…. Five of his grandchildren are mentally abnormal… some with psychoses.

The following are examples found in the book Occult ABC:

Ex 304 While I was on a speaking tour in the province of Santa Catarina, Brazil, a woman Salvation Army officer came to me for counseling. She was of psychic disposition and encountered severe attacks during the night and when praying or reading her Bible. In my addresses, I mentioned some examples similar to events in her own family, and she therefore had confidence in me. As she told the story of her life, the following facts came out. Her grandmother and her mother were active spiritists. Her mother’s brother had committed suicide. Her father had been killed in an explosion. Her own husband had been killed in a road accident. Her eldest son also had a fatal accident.

These are not uncommon occurrences found in a spiritist’s family: accidents, suicides, mental disorders, etc. which are severe attacks from satan’s kingdom. Frequent accidents and suicides seem to be a familiar phenomenon in the world of the occult.

Again, I quote Ankerberg and Weldon:

Many secular researchers have also noted there is a hereditary factor for psychic predisposition: Dr. Fodor, the psychoanalyst/ psychic researcher referred to earlier, observes: ‘In most cases mediumship can be traced as a hereditary gift. If the heredity is not direct it is to be found in ancestors or collaterals.’

The compilation by the editors of Psychic magazine- Psychics: In Depth Interviews- reveals a consistent pattern. Most psychics interviewed admitted familial involvement. Famous mediums Arthur Ford, Eileen Garrett, and Douglas Johnson all had aunts who were mediums or psychics; Irene Hughes and Peter Hurkos both had psychic mothers; and virtually all 19 members of witch Sybil Leek’s nuclear and extended family were sympathetic to psychicism.

As with Edgar Cayce, Olga Worrall, and other well-known occultists, the predisposition often surfaces during childhood, especially in experiences with spirits. In the book cited above, Jeane Dixon, Eileen Garrett, Irene Hughes, Douglas Johnson, and “Kreskin” (who denies he is a psychic even though he practices automatic writing) also encountered psychic events at a young age.

(The Coming Darkness, 211-212)

Dr. Fodor confirms that even babies and small children of occultists can incur a curse of because of their parents’ sins:

Inherited mediumship usually appears spontaneously and early in life, like artistic gifts. The five-month-old son of Mrs. Kate Fox-Jenken wrote automatically. Raps occurred on his pillow and on the iron railing of his bedstead almost everyday. The seven month-old infant of Mrs. Margaret Cooper gave communications through raps. Aksakof in Animisme et Eperitisme records many instances of infantile mediumship. The child Alward moved tables that were too heavy for her normal strength. The nephew of Seymour wrote automatically when nine days old.

In Bonnemere’s Les Canisards and in Figuier’s Histoire du Merveilleux many cases are quoted of Canisard babies of 14-15 months of age and of infants who preached in French in the purest diction.

(Fodor, Encyclopedia of Psychic Science, 234)

The following is an example of a Christian demonized because of what his ancestors were involved in:

Ex. 47. A Bible student in the Philippines had been a Christian for about one year. As I prayed with him, a rough voice called out of him, ‘He belongs to us. His whole family has belonged to us for more than 200 years.’ ‘No,’ I retorted, ‘he belongs to the Lord Jesus to whom he’s surrendered his life.’ The voices spoke again, ‘That’s not true. His ancestors have subscribed themselves to us. He is ours by right.’ The conversation revealed that the ancestors of this unhappy student had not only practised sorcery, but some of them had even subscribed themselves to the devil with their own blood. This was the reason why, in spite of his conversion, the student had become possessed.

(Occult Bondage and Deliverance, 70-71)

In Demon Possession and the Christian, theologian Dr. C. Fred Dickason details many examples of what occult practices can do to Christians:

I have found this avenue of ancestral involvement to be the chief cause of demonization. Well over 95 percent of more than 400 persons I have contacted in my counseling ministry have been demonized because of their ancestors’ involvement in occult and demonic activities.

(Demon Possession and the Christian, 221)

Not all times do demons go down the bloodline because of the occult. Demonization may occur apart from it:

…a Salvation Army officer who had been born blind and who was brought to a meeting at which Jean Darnall was ministering. A charismatic word of knowledge declared that the man’s blindness was due to an evil spirit which had entered him at birth. He had been born in prison. His father was a criminal and his mother had conspired with him. Criminal or immoral activity can become a vehicle for demonic intrusion, and this was the case for this officer. Following a deliverance prayer by which a spirit was cast out of him, the man saw perfectly for the first time in his life.

(Parker, Battling the Occult, 82)

In the book Battling with Nazi Demons, the Christian author, Werner Oder, gave his testimony of the recurring horrific demonic nightmares, and infirmities he suffered with as child. He was greatly tormented from a monster trying to kill him for many years. As a child, he was physically attacked by an unseen force, even pushed down a flight of stairs and into water (almost killing him). He was also filled with violence, aggression, hatred, and Anti-Semitism. What was it that opened the door for the enemy to attack him in such a way? His earthly father was a Nazi SS officer – a war criminal responsible for the deaths of many innocent lives. It was only when Werner surrendered his life to Christ was he set free from the tormenting nightmares and the spirit of hatred and anti-Semitism.


If you believe you may have evil spirits because of your ancestors and want prayer for deliverance then feel free to reach out to me.


If you don’t know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you can receive Him into your heart, and He can deliver you from darkness and sin and have your name written in His Book of Life.

If you are sincere you can say this simple prayer to the Father (it doesn’t have to be word for word):

“God, I recognize that I have not lived my life for You up until now. I have been living for myself and that is wrong. Please forgive me of all of my sins just as I forgive others. I need You in my life; I want You in my life. I acknowledge the completed work of Your only begotten Son Jesus Christ in giving His life for me on the cross, I believe in my heart Jesus is Lord and was raised from the dead and I long to receive the forgiveness you have made freely available to me through this sacrifice. Come into my life now, Lord. Take up residence in my heart and be my king, my Lord, and my Savior. From this day forward, I will no longer be controlled by sin, or the desire to please myself, but I will follow You all the days of my life. Those days are in Your hands. I ask this in the Lord and GOD Jesus’ precious and holy name. Amen.”

17 thoughts on “Generational Curses – Inheriting Demons From Ancestors

  1. Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”
    Galatians 3:13

    Verse 13 is written in the past tense, whereas Galatians 3:10 is written in the present tense:

    For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

    If Jesus broke the curses, how is it those of whom Paul was referencing in the present tense could be under a curse? Verse 13 does say Jesus became the curse, but it doesn’t say He broke any curses. Moreover, I cannot find a single example of Jesus or the apostles breaking any curses, yet we read that Jesus issued many curses.

    If Jesus did not break any curses why would anyone else?

    Like

  2. Jen P

    Thank you for this. I have been fighting spiritually as a born again believer in Jesus Christ the Messiah of Nazareth. I come from a long line of European free masons, and African/Native American witches, Slave owning Jews. As an infant I was presented in a demonic Santeria ritual (grandmother walked over fiery coals while holding me). My father and (his mother) my grandmother are involved in witchcraft. His father was a freemason (I believe he died truly unrepentant as many demonic things happened at the time of his funeral. I can only surmise that the demons that left him viciously entered the family and caused unspeakable havoc.) Currently my father is dying – very ill with Multiple Sclerosis and STD’s- everyday gets worse and is on morphine – (as is my grandmother since she is very advanced in age.) Repeatedly my brother and I have tried sharing the gospel with them and they refuse to repent. I have been heavily attacked spiritually lately. If the attacks are not while I sleep (demons trying to choke me, sleep paralysis, disgusting nightmares) they occur while I am awake in the form dark demonic thoughts (voices that do not sound like my own telling me not to pray, etc). I cry out to Jesus every single day to deliver me. I am fully aware that both are dying and that those legion of demons are looking for a place. I am praying that they go to the pit of hell and do not destroy any further generations. I am fighting through fasting and prayer. And I struggle with this. I have also been struggling with a choking sensation that does not allow me to swallow food properly or peacefully and have developed anorexia as a cause of this. A fear of eating and choking. I am being attacked from every side and have been crying out to Jesus. What do I continue to do?

    Like

    1. Magdalen

      Is it possible to break unknown curses
      ?

      My mother was adopted, her biological family is unknown, I heard few stories,one is the person I thought was my great aunt like figure was really my grandmother. I heard that she possibly had an affair, and her husband made her give up my mum to their neighbours that were distantly related.
      When I was a teenager I really wanted to find out the truth and I asked my “great aunt” what does she know about my mum’s adoption (at that point someone told me that she might know the family that gave my mum away, and I didn’t even suspect she could be involved in it). She froze, she teared up and told me off sternly to never ask this question again.
      Years ago she passed away and later I found her daughter on Facebook… And she looks very similar to my mum. I sent a friend request and a Hi message and who I am but never got a reply back.
      Some days after that I had a very lucid dream. My great aunt’s entrance to her house. And I saw “her”. She looked kindly at me, held my hands and said it’s not a good time to find out the truth, and she is sorry. When it happened I thought it was her ghost but now I know it cannot be true as bible says.
      I’m praying for the holy Spirit to reveal what to pray for and how to break curses.

      Should I keep trying to find out the truth and have a closure
      ?
      How to pray to break curses if family line is not known, or isn’t certain?

      Does it work if the prayer is over a child? I want to be set free. But my son’s father (estranged) is very much antichristian.
      I can see that my son struggles a lot with sadism and disobedience.he is only 5. I remember my childhood vividly and I struggled with some things too, like unexplainable anger or hatred, but my son is a lot worse. I have confessed my sins and I keep doing it when the Holy Spirit reveals them and I am repenting. And I believe the generational curses will be broken but it would be only on my side. Is there a way to help my son?

      Like

      1. That we can be subject to satanic generational curses is so entrenched in the minds of many believers that they never question whether the Bible supports the idea. I will expound on this, but first I want to express my sympathies to anyone having difficulties with their children’s wellbeing, physical, mental or spiritual.

        The goal of my comments is to relieve anyone of anxiety stemming from this false teaching and, hopefully, provide enough clarification to encourage more properly directed prayers. Our gracious Lord hears our prayers and knows our heart. He is eager to heal and show mercy, but our prayers matter and faith is instrumental in the dynamic of answered petitions. The false teaching about generational curses is dangerous for this reason, it can be a faith killer, or at the very least a faith inhibitor. If we agree that faith is an integral aspect of prayer, then we should seek to increase our faith by being immersed in the Word and shed ideas that might cause us to fear and doubt.

        Anyone trapped in fear, wondering if their ancestor’s sin has left them subject to a generational curse, cannot simultaneously maximize their faith when in prayer. Fear and faith do not mix well.

        I will not go into detail for all the following statements but can upon request:

        • There is not a single example of a satanic curse in all of Scripture. They do not exist.

        • All real curses come only from the Lord.

        • There are examples of generational curses in Scripture—all from the Lord—but they are extremely rare.

        • Jesus did not break any curses. He became the curse.

        • Curses are part of the Word of God. Jesus is the Word become flesh. Jesus was nailed to the cross:

        “When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.”
        Colossians 2:13-14

        Jesus didn’t break the curses in the Law. The Law is the Word of God, Jesus is the Word of God, and He was nailed to the cross. He became the curse for us and died, and those who believe died with Him, rescuing us from our sin.

        And keep this in mind:

        “For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”
        I Corinthians 7:14

        Now I don’t pretend to understand everything this verse means; however, it is clear the children of believers are considered holy. They cannot be cursed and simultaneously holy.

        Therefore, with all that said, pray in faith without worrying if your children, or yourselves, are under a curse. Don’t let lies and fear diminish your faith. PRAY!!!

        Now, regarding lingering effects from past satanic involvement, I have found nothing in Scripture supporting the idea. However, demonic entities are strategic beings. Whatever family traits, disease, culture, sin, economic habits etc., might have led to suffering in the past—demonic or otherwise—of course, demonic entities are going to capitalize on these.

        Pray to make changes in your family. Pray also against any satanic forces. Pray in faith and not in fear because God hears, and answers prayers offered in faith.

        Like

        1. With all due respect, you shouldn’t butt into things you don’t know much about. I will address some of what you said.

          You said:

          “There is not a single example of a satanic curse in all of Scripture. They do not exist.”

          “All real curses come only from the Lord.”

          In the Bible (Numbers Ch. 22) Balaam tried to put a curse on the Hebrews as to bring about an ill effect supernaturally on them, but God stopped him from doing it. The passage seems to indicate that the curse would have been carried out if God didn’t intervene.

          Who do you think works behind voodoo curses and other forms of black magic? It definitely is not the living God.

          Unger wrote:

          “It is the most devilish of all the forms of magic as it is directed against both animals and humans. A black magic spell can cause temporary blindness, deafness, dumbness, torpor, sickness, pain, etc… through a genuine magic spell diabolical power is released and real results are obtained (Demons in the World Today, 128).

          But whether the occultist acknowledges it or not evil spirits are behind the magic curses. Unger wrote:

          “Genuine magic is the art of bringing about results beyond human power through the enlistment of supernatural agencies. Black magic deliberately involves the devil and demons, and the resulting enchantment is used for persecution and revenge. A spiritistic circle of twenty members furnishes a good example. Working with black magic, these spiritistic experimented to see if they could cause psychic harm or even illness in people they disliked. A strong medium of this occult group chose a minister as a target and vowed to afflict and eliminate him. The minister suffered a nervous breakdown and was unable to work for several months.” (Demons in the World Today, 60-61)

          I have prayed for deliverance for numerous people, and some of them were “cursed” or demonized because someone practiced black magic against them. This type of thing is very prevalent in parts of Africa and the Caribbean. It’s very real! Otherwise, people wouldn’t waste their time with practicing it.

          Click the link for more information https://jesustruthdeliverance.com/black-magic-witchcraft-curses-spells-exposed/

          Like

    2. I called out Jesus/Yeshua name (out loud) when I was being attacked by 3 dark witches in a nightmare. Immediately the dream ended and I was in a state of complete peace. Call His great and mighty name out loud the next time you are attacked as He tells us to do through Paul. May the Lord Jesus bless you I am praying for your endurance.
      Also, get rid of any and all items in your home of occult nature. Any fantasy or science fiction books , statues, rocks or crystals, dreamcatchers etc.
      Stop watching TV and movies. Devote yourself to studying the Word. This helps.

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Appeal to Ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam)

    The owner of this blog has been kind enough to allow my posts. I am grateful for that, so I in no way wish to be disrespectful. However, there are people seeking help and the information presented here is wrong. This particularly struck me:

    “Generational curses or intergenerational (“familial”) spirits were something I was a tad bit skeptical about as I thought it is not explicitly clear in scriptures (although conversely, scriptures do not contradict the idea of generational curses). But how else can one explain how a young child can have an evil spirit?”

    “…But how else can one explain how a young child can have an evil spirit?”

    This is an appeal to ignorance. Stated more simply, since we can’t explain why, it must be X.

    The Bible is not explicit on how one becomes possessed by demons. I think we have some hints, but there is nothing explicit in Scripture. There certainly is no explanation of how innocent children could be possessed, and the Bible is unapologetic for not providing us with this knowledge.

    Jesus and the Apostles could have provided us with lots of information explaining how one becomes demon possessed, but they did not. They also could have discussed generational curses, but they did not. They could have engaged in curse deliverance, but they did not, and they did not direct us to either.

    If curse deliverance was to be part of the Christian experience, it seems as if we should be able to find at least one example in the New Testament. Moreover, there is not a single example of curse deliverance in the Old Testament.

    The practice of curse deliverance is based upon cherry-picked phrases and sentences quoted outside the context of Bible sentences and paragraphs.

    I want to address the idea of “familiar spirits.” This is unfortunately ignorant. The Bible nowhere discusses “family spirits.” This error arises from a word used in a very few translations that has nothing to do with spirits that are family based. The following is from gotquestions.org:

    “The word familiar is from the Latin familiaris, meaning a “household servant,” and is intended to express the idea that sorcerers had spirits as their servants ready to obey their commands. Those attempting to contact the dead, even to this day, usually have some sort of spirit guide who communicates with them. These are familiar spirits.”

    This is perhaps one of the dumbest errors still alive in the Church today. To deduce that there are family-based demons simply because the words “familiar” and “family” contain many of the same letters could not be more anti-intellectual. It’s rather silly.

    J. Williams, I do not mean this in any insulting way, however; you are being horribly irresponsible. I know you have a lot of followers and this because of a hunger on this subject. If children of God are coming to you hungry, and you feed them the wrong food, both you and they are in peril. I would be very careful about continuing without subjecting yourself to some healthy peer pressure.

    Next:

    “…scriptures do not contradict the idea of generational curses”

    This is probably best described as a false dichotomy. Of course, the Bible does not contradict generational curses. Why would it? There are clear-cut examples of generational curses in the Scripture. The problem is, every single example of generational curses is from the Lord. Why would the Scripture contradict that idea?

    What you are suggesting is that the Scripture is not contradicting satanic generational curses, and again, why would it? There is not a single example of a satanic curse, let alone a satanic generational curse, in the Old or New Testaments. Why contradict something that does not exist?

    You are not the first I have come across who attempts to use God’s light to prove Satan’s darkness. When you use generational curses from God to prove the existence of satanic generational curses, that’s what you are doing; using Light to support lies about darkness.

    James 3:1 says this:

    “Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, because you know that we will be judged more strictly.”

    J. Williams, I would take that verse very seriously. You have got yourself way out on a limb and risking divine judgement unnecessarily. Why would you do that?

    What is so tantalizing about discussing this subject that it causes you to be irresponsible?

    The draw and appeal of curse deliverance results from seductive conclusions. It is appealing to believe if one can simply utter the right deliverance prayer, their problem will go away. It is the desire for the magic pill, and it is seductive. I believe in sudden, miraculous deliverance and healing. I have experienced it myself. However, renouncing a curse that does not exist or one that we have died to will not bring about God’s power.

    You have young mothers writing to you with questions about their young children. Do you remember what Jesus said about the little ones?

    My advice to you is to take heed to the truth as stated in Scripture and repent.

    Like

    1. I take it you have absolutely no experience with casting demons out of people. I have many years of experience in this ministry, and I have seen people who were demonized (or “cursed”) because of what their ancestors got involved in. Here is one video of me casting out demons out of a woman that we surmised she got demonized from her ancestors https://youtu.be/Supl2guUNgs

      The various references I used in this post backs up my claim that people can be demonized or demonically oppressed because of what their ancestors did. You want to disagree, then that’s your prerogative. But nothing what you said refutes my doctrine scripturally.

      Like

  4. Few biblical characters fascinate me more than Balaam. He certainly was an interesting fellow. He is mentioned three times in the New Testament in the cautionary sense. There are even some archaeological finds that may verify him historically. Not that I need outside verification. I am a “If the Bible says it, I believe it” guy.

    You are using Balaam as evidence of satanic supernatural curses. While I appreciate you are using Scripture to present your case, you did not present all the relevant passages.

    Balak, King of Moab, sent men to Balaam to hire him to put a curse on Israel:

    ““Spend the night here,” Balaam said to them, “and I will report back to you with the answer the Lord gives me.” So the Moabite officials stayed with him.

    God came to Balaam and asked, “Who are these men with you?”

    Balaam said to God, “Balak son of Zippor, king of Moab, sent me this message: ‘A people that has come out of Egypt covers the face of the land. Now come and put a curse on them for me. Perhaps then I will be able to fight them and drive them away.’”

    But God said to Balaam, “Do not go with them. You must not put a curse on those people, because they are blessed.””
    Numbers 22:8-12

    If you take the time to look at the Hebrew, you find that the reference to the “Lord” is Jehovah, not a pagan entity (i.e., satanic source.) Balaam told the men he was going to inquire of Jehovah and that is Who dialogued with him.

    If Balaam thought he could curse from a source other than Jehovah, then why did he inquire of Jehovah? This does not support the idea of satanic curses. As further proof, consider Joshua 24:9-10 when the Lord prophesied through Joshua:

    “When Balak son of Zippor, the king of Moab, prepared to fight against Israel, he sent for Balaam son of Beor to put a curse on you. But I would not listen to Balaam, so he blessed you again and again, and I delivered you out of his hand.”

    Are you trying to suggest that Balaam went to Jehovah to ask if he could pronounce a satanic curse upon Israel? Is that the hill you want to die on in trying to prove that satanic curses are biblical? I think we both know your answer to that.

    Another problem with your position is the testimony of one participant—Balaam himself. Please consider:

    How can I curse
    those whom God has not cursed?
    How can I denounce
    those whom the Lord has not denounced?
    Numbers 23:8

    And,

    “Balak said to Balaam, “What have you done to me? I brought you to curse my enemies, but you have done nothing but bless them!”
    He answered, “Must I not speak what the Lord puts in my mouth?””
    Numbers 23:11-12

    This is direct testimony from Balaam that he knew he could not curse independently of Jehovah. This should surprise no one. If Balaam had thought otherwise, why would he have inquired of Jehovah in the first place? Balaam did not willy-nilly pronounce a curse without consulting Jehovah because he knew it would not be effective.

    You presented this story as proof of satanic curses. The primary participants disagree with you. I side with those involved who possessed first-hand knowledge. Moreover, the other participant, Jehovah, never said the curse would be fulfilled if He had not stopped Balaam. We see in Joshua 23:9, “But I would not listen to Balaam…” the curse was not fulfilled because Jehovah would not “listen” to Balaam. That is an interpretation and commentary on the event straight from the Lord.

    Let us look at this logically. It is clear Balaam was seeking a curse from Jehovah, and it is clear Jehovah agrees with that. You claim,

    “The passage seems to indicate that curse would have been carried out if God didn’t intervene.”

    For that to be true, Jehovah would have to have listened to Balaam, and based upon Balaam’s impending imprecation, it would soon force Him to carry out a curse upon Israel. Therefore, to prevent that from happening, He would have to stop Balaam before he could pronounce the imprecation, which somehow would have forced Jehovah to curse Israel.

    Really?

    It is a kind of illogical salad, is it not? As an alternative, we could go with the Lord’s express commentary, “But I would not listen to Balaam.” After all, Jehovah was a participant. Not to mention that He is, in fact, God.

    What then about the angel of the Lord stopping Balaam? I would suggest there are other possibilities. Perhaps it was an act of tremendous mercy towards Balaam. Maybe He was trying to keep Balaam from a promised judgement. Recall what Jehovah told Abraham:

    I will bless those who bless you,
    and whoever curses you I will curse;
    and all peoples on earth
    will be blessed through you.
    Genesis 12:3

    If Balaam had cursed Israel (which, according to the Hebrew, could include insults such as execrations) then he would be subject to the promise of being cursed by God.

    Which seems more plausible, God was acting in mercy toward Balaam or God could not control a curse once Balaam uttered it? I think the former is the more reasonable.

    It is probable that stopping Balaam had nothing to do with preventing him from pronouncing a curse whatsoever. In fact, if we look at the tilting point of the story it can be argued that this likely is the case.

    Balak, King of Moab, sent more men of even greater distinction to approach Balaam a second time and they promised great rewards if he would simply curse Israel.

    “But Balaam answered them, “Even if Balak gave me all the silver and gold in his palace, I could not do anything great or small to go beyond the command of the Lord my God. Now spend the night here so that I can find out what else the Lord will tell me.”

    That night God came to Balaam and said, “Since these men have come to summon you, go with them, but do only what I tell you.””
    Numbers 22:18-20

    Briefly, let me ask you, are you suggesting that Jehovah sent Balaam to curse but then had to stop him from pronouncing the curse? I’ll let you ponder that as we move on.

    I will not list the entire next part of the chapter where Balaam’s donkey speaks to him and he finally sees the angel of the Lord standing in the middle of the road with drawn sword, as fascinating as it is. For brevity, I will skip to verses 31-33:
    “Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown.
    The angel of the Lord asked him, “Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me. The donkey saw me and turned away from me these three times. If it had not turned away, I would certainly have killed you by now, but I would have spared it.”

    This story pivots on the second request by Balaam to curse Israel for monetary gain although he did his best to disguise his intent to Balak’s emissaries, as well as to the Lord. However, he riled Jehovah’s anger in the process so as a judgment, Jehovah told Balaam to go with the men. Please pay attention to this:

    “I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me.”

    The Lord was not acting to prevent the curse. He stated explicitly through Joshua that He would not listen to Balaam. He had no need to. He was opposing Balaam, as the express language clearly bears out. Jehovah was not worried about Israel. Even if Balaam had pronounced the curse, it would not hurt them. Instead, God would have cursed Balaam in accordance with his hundreds of years old promises to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

    Regarding your and Unger’s comments about magic and spells, I will again refer you to Balaam who at the very least attempted to meddle in divination:

    “Now when Balaam saw that it pleased the Lord to bless Israel, he did not resort to divination as at other times, but turned his face toward the wilderness.”
    Numbers 24:1

    So, we have Balaam as a firsthand witness. He dabbled in divination and here is his opinion of the effects of magic upon Israel:

    “There is no divination against Jacob,
    no evil omens against Israel.
    It will now be said of Jacob
    and of Israel, ‘See what God has done!’”
    Numbers 23:23

    Tell me if I am misrepresenting your position, but it seems you and Unger believe Christians—who are inhabited by the Holy Spirit—are subject to evil spells under a New and better Covenant when Israel was not susceptible to them under the Old Covenant. Am I missing something? If this is your position, then can you explain why Jesus and the Apostles did not mention anything of the kind? If, after the virgin birth of the Mighty God, after the Light ministered on the earth for three years, after the nails pierced His hands and feet, after rising from the dead, after ascending to heaven, after the Father sending the Holy Spirit in power; we have less protection from evil spells than Israel did, then why didn’t somebody say something about it?

    You and Unger provide many anecdotal stories as evidence. Where is your Scriptural evidence? Point to a passage that says the Bride of Christ has less protection against evil spells than Israel did.

    Good luck with that.

    Now, perhaps the story of Balaam is not your best Scriptural argument in favor of satanic curses. Maybe you were saving the best for last. If that is the case, please help me out and present your argument. If I am wrong, I want to know it, and I want to know it for godly reasons as well as selfish reasons. Some of those reasons are illustrated in Proverbs 30.

    First, the selfish reason:

    “Do not add to his words,
    or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.”
    Verse 6

    I am afraid of being rebuked by God, therefore want neither to add or subtract from His written revelation.

    The godly reason:

    “Keep falsehood and lies far from me”
    Verse 8a.

    I honestly want to properly represent His written truth. I hope somehow to honor Him and His Word by being as accurate and honest as I possibly can, and that because He has been so gracious to give us supernatural written truth commissioned from His throne room where one day I hope to hear, “Well done good and faithful servant.” If I add to His words, He will rebuke me, and I will be called a liar by the Creator. I really don’t want that and hope to avoid it at all costs.

    If I am wrong, and there really are examples of satanic, effective, fulfilled supernatural curses in the Bible, then I want to know about them so I will not misrepresent His Word.

    So far, we disagree. However, I commend you for being willing to allow my posts.

    I want to get a bit more personal here. I am very close to someone that had a sibling that was told they were under a generational curse from their ancestors, and they became so distraught that person committed suicide.

    This person was a new believer, and they did not know the word. They had suffered under staggeringly horrible abuse as a child. Soon after conversion and attending a church, some congregants involved in a “deliverance” ministry, decided this person needed their services. In their hubristic deliverance approach, they began trying to “heal” and “deliver” this poor person of their past. They heaped a burden onto this tortured soul. They thought they knew enough, but they did not.

    This issue is not an academic exercise for me. There are real life consequences to error.

    Allow me to appeal to you that you consider this discussion very carefully, and I mean that in the most brotherly sense.

    I began studying and writing about curse deliverance over nine years ago. One goal was to illustrate that Jesus broke all curses on the Cross. I discovered I was wrong—He did not break any curses. Another was to learn and explain how the generational curses referenced in Exodus 20:5 did not apply to us today. However, I discovered that and the five other references to it were not talking about generational curses. I was wrong again. Then I sought to compare and illustrate the differences between God’s curses and Satan’s curses, believing that there were in fact such thing as satanic curses. I was wrong a third time. I looked and looked and could not find a single example of an effective, fulfilled, Satanic curse.

    I often, spent quite a bit of time on my knees asking and pleading to the Father to keep me from error and to help me understand this subject according to the truth. I constantly had to make sure I was being honest with myself and the Lord. It was not easy.

    Again, please consider that young mothers with young children are coming to you for insight. You do not know everything about their situation. The wrong advice, and the wrong doctrine could have fatal consequences.

    Where exactly Balaam went astray is unknown. We know he heard from the Lord, and we know that he was still bent on going his own way. We have no idea how long this went on before the event in question, but he came very close to being slain by the Lord. Not a good state to be in.

    Like

    1. Patrick Rhodes, I know it has been a few months since you made your initial post, but I will try to give a thorough response to it since you seemed to have put much time and effort.

      “This is an appeal to ignorance. Stated more simply, since we can’t explain why, it must be X.”

      It must be X because the anectdeotal evidence suggests it is. Since it doesn’t contradict scriptures, then a reasonable person should be open to the possibility of X.

      “If curse deliverance was to be part of the Christian experience, it seems as if we should be able to find at least one example in the New Testament. Moreover, there is not a single example of curse deliverance in the Old Testament.”

      I believe I didn’t mention anything about “curse deliverance” in this post or in my blog. It is not curse deliverance per se, but deliverance from demons. I have seen how demons have entered people because of the certain sins of their ancestors. Many such people have ancestors who were involved in witchcraft or the occult. If you don’t want to take it from someone who has prayed for deliverance hundreds, if not, thousands of people then that’s fine. But that is what I observered. There are many missionary testimonies of first-hand experiences dealing with magic or witchcraft on some level in pagan lands. I have provided references to several other Christians who have studied this issue or have extensive experience ministering to those have were occultly subjected who have observed the same.

      The late Christian author Kurt Koch, who had over 40 years ministering to those involved in the occult, wrote:

      “Some magic involves the direct solicitation and help of demons, specifically the devil. It is the most terrible and powerful form of occult art, majoring in enchantment for persecution and vengeance, but also employing diabolical powers for defense and healing. An example of this nefarious practice is found in the death spells cast by with doctors among aboriginal people, such as the Papuans on the island of New Guinea.

      Enchantment for persecution and vengeance, as well as for defense and healing, is still practiced today, not only in pagan cultures but also in civilized lands where occultism flourishes. Literature on magic is still circulated, and its directives for incantations, charms, and spells are still followed in parts of Germany, France, and Switzerland.” (Demons in the World Today, 114).

      “I want to address the idea of “familiar spirits.” This is unfortunately ignorant. The Bible nowhere discusses “family spirits.” This error arises from a word used in a very few translations that has nothing to do with spirits that are family based. The following is from gotquestions.org:”

      You are splitting hairs. In the context of the quote I provided, it meant spirits that are familiar with the family.

      Note: I did edit the post from “intergenerational (‘familial’) spirits” to read “intergenerational (‘familial’) demons”, to be more specific.

      “J. Williams, I do not mean this in any insulting way, however; you are being horribly irresponsible. I know you have a lot of followers and this because of a hunger on this subject. If children of God are coming to you hungry, and you feed them the wrong food, both you and they are in peril. I would be very careful about continuing without subjecting yourself to some healthy peer pressure.”

      Oh, please stop with your exaggeration and fear-mongering. I quoted several who are an authority on this matter that backs up my belief. There is a clear correlation between one’s ancestors being involved in the occult/witchcraft and their descendants being spiritually affected. If you disagree, then fine. But no one has contacted me that he or she has been harmed in any way because of this doctrine. In fact, people have thanked me because I helped them receive deliverance, i.e., have the demons inside of them expelled.

      “This is probably best described as a false dichotomy. Of course, the Bible does not contradict generational curses. Who would it? There are clear-out examples of generational curses in the Scripture. The problem is, every single example of generational curses is from the Lord. Why would the Scripture contradict that idea?”

      “What you are suggesting is that the Scripture is not contradicting satanic generational curses, and again, why would it? There is not a single example of a satanic curse, let alone a satanic generational curse, in the Old or New Testaments. Why contradict something that does not exist?’”

      My point is people like to assume just because a doctrine/event/practice is not in the Bible, then it must be false or not Biblical. Not every detail of the spiritual reality is in the Bible. For instance, some people assume that Christians can’t be demonized because they claim there is no scripture that describes a Christian with a demon. There have been people who taken time to contact me to argue with me that a Christian can’t be demonized.

      I know curses are from the Lord, or to be more specific, ULTIMATELY from the Lord. But my belief is that evil spirits operate behind at least some curses.The Bible does reveals God uses evil spirits for His purposes (Job Ch.1; 1 Kings 22:21-23). Apparently, that is the case or God wouldn’t allow evil spirits to exist and afflict humanity.

      “J. Williams, I would take that verse very seriously. You have got yourself way out on a limb and risking divine judgement unnecessarily. Why would you do that?’

      I take every word of God seriously. This post would have never been made if I didn’t see it myself that people can be demonized because of their ancestors gross sins. There are many other deliverance ministers, some with far more experience than I, who have seen the same thing. I would like to believe that I have keen discernment. But if I am wrong, then pray that God opens my eyes. That said, no one on this Earth has perfect doctrine. No one has it all figured out.

      “The draw and appeal of curse deliverance results from seductive conclusions. It is appealing to believe if one can simply utter the right deliverance prayer, their problem will go away. It is the desire for the magic pill, and it is seductive. I believe in sudden, miraculous deliverance and healing. I have experienced it myself. However, renouncing a curse that does not exist or one that we have died to will not bring about God’s power.”

      It seems like you attacked a straw man. Where in this post did I say that one can simply utter the right deliverance prayer that their problem will go away? You are going on about something that I never said nor implied. Perhaps you were part of a ministry that held such beliefs and in your zeal and misunderstandings think I hold such beliefs.

      “You have young mothers writing to you with questions about their young children. Do you remember what Jesus said about the little ones?’

      There have been parents who have contacted me to cast out demons from their children. The demons were cast out and they were very thankful. All glory to God. Have you ever expelled a demon out of someone? Do you even believe Christians can expel demons out of people today?

      “If Balaam thought he could curse from a source other than Jehovah, then why did he inquire of Jehovah? This does not support the idea of satanic curses. As further proof, consider Joshua 24:9-10 when the Lord prophesied through Joshua:”

      Again, I believe all curses ultimately comes from God. But operating behind or carrying out some curses are evil spirits. What you said doesn’t contradict my doctrine.

      Who allows people to be demon possessed? It is God. And if demons can be behind some curses, then in a sense, demon possession is a satanic curse. But I don’t believe I have ever used the words “satanic curse.”

      To clarify, I believe the operating forces behind voodoo curses and other forms of black magic are demons. You can deny that such things have no real effect in the real world, but I would strongly disagree. There is a reason why multitudes of cultures throughout the world going back for hundreds of generations have practiced black magic: it is because it works! However, I believe God is the one who allows the curse to happen as He is the One who is in ultimate control.

      “This is direct testimony from Balaam that he knew he could not curse independently of Jehovah. This should surprise no one. If Balaam had thought otherwise, why would he have inquired of Jehovah in the first place? Balaam did not willy-nilly pronounce a curse without consulting Jehovah because he knew it would not be effective.”

      I disagree. I believe he could have induced a curse without inquiring of God. But I may have to concede to your point that Balaam likley didn’t try to curse independently of God as written in the Bible. I may have used Balaam has a poor example.

      Of course, you likely disagree, but many people in pagan cultures invoke curses on people without inquiring God. In many African cultures, some people would go to witchdoctors to curse people. In the Caribbean, some people would go to a shaman to induce a curse on someone. When the giant Goliath challenged David, he cursed him in the name of his gods (1 Sam. 17:43).

      I offered numerous examples on this blog of people exacting a curse on people (afflicting them by the power of evil spirits) without turning to the living God. The reason why people go to great lengths to do such a thing is because it can obtain real results.

      “’Now when Balaam saw that it please the Lord to bless Israel, he did not resort to divination as at other times, but turned his face toward the wilderness.’
      Numbers 24:1

      So, we have Balaam as firsthand witness. He dabbled in divination and here is his opinion of the effects of magic upon Israel:

      ‘There is no divination against Jacob, no evil omens against Israel.
      It will now be said of Jacob
      and of Israel, ‘See what God has done!’
      Numbers 23:23”

      I do find it interesting Balaam was involved in sorcery. As I said many times, those who practice black magic or the dark arts can put curses on people. It is interesting since Balaam was a practitioner of black magic and cursing (as you admitted), as such practices are part of many pagan cultures.

      “Tell me if I am misrepresenting your position, but it seems you and Unger believe Christians—who are inhabited by the Holy Spirit– are subject to evil spells under a New and better Covenant when Israel was not susceptible to them under the Old Covenant.”

      Yes, born again Christians can be demonized. I have a lengthy post defending that position. You can read it here https://jesustruthdeliverance.com/demonic-doorways-and-signs-of-demonization/ I have seen it over and over again, Christians demonized. Can someone place a curse on a Christian, which is carried about by evil spirits? Yes, if a Christian lives involves himself in gross sins, such as getting involved with witchcraft or shamanism, then those doors can be opened for attacks from the enemy. That said, I believe most Christians are generally protected witchcraft or magic. If you actually took time to read the page I posted a link to, you would have known my position. I’ll post the link again https://jesustruthdeliverance.com/black-magic-witchcraft-curses-spells-exposed/

      “If this is your position, then can you explain why Jesus and the Apostles did not mention anything of the kind?”

      I made a post about Christians being demonized. You should go read it. Link is here https://jesustruthdeliverance.com/2016/08/21/can-a-christian-have-a-demon/

      Are you that type of Christian who denies a Christian can be demonized — that once a person becomes a Christians all their demons indwelt immediately just leave?

      “… we have less protection from evil spells than Israel did, then why didn’t somebody say something about it?’

      Didn’t God allow Israel to be attacked and defeated by pagan nations. What spirit do you think was operating behind those pagan nations? It’s not a magic spell, per se, but the point is that the enemy has attacked Israel. They weren’t always protected, otherwise they would have never been exiled multiple times. Moreover, the Bible reveals satan does and can attack Christians. Most of the disciples were martyred. What spirit do you think was operating behind those who murdered them? God allowed a messenger (an angel) of satan in his flesh to buffet Paul. I know there are several interpretations of what that really was, but I think we can agree that satan attacked attacked Paul in some shape or form with severity.

      “You and Unger provide many anecdotal stories as evidence. Where is your Scriptural evidence? Point to a passage that says the Bride of Christ has less protection against evil spells than Israel did.”

      You have an issue with anecdotal stories as evidence? If yes, why do you discount it? Are you implying what I and many others have witnessed are just delusional or deceived?

      Why do you assume a born again Christian can’t directly be demonically afflicted? If you say because it is not explicitly in the Bible, then you have committed a logical fallacy, which is argument from ignorance, the same fallacy you accuse me of committing. You imply I hold my belief to be true because it has not yet been proven false. But I say your belief that my doctrine is false because it has not yet been proven true is a fallacy. If you are so adamant about your theological claims then it would nice to see scriptural support. I will hold you to the same criteria you hold to me. But at least I have a wealth of clinical and anectedotal evidence to back up my claims. Please point to a passage that says the Bride of Christ is always protected from attacks from the enemy as you implied.

      “Good luck with that.”

      I don’t believe in luck.

      “I want to get a bit more personal here. I am very close to someone that had a sibling that was told they were under a generational curse form their ancestors, and they became so distraught that person committed suicide.”

      So, are you saying because someone was told he or she had a generational curse (which is biblical) that the person committed suicide? I doubt the cause of the suicide was because of such belief. It is likely there was some other underlying issues with the person. I have had people people thank me for casting the demons out of them as we have ascertained the person was demonized because of what their ancestors were involved in. I have never had a case where a person committed suicide or was harmed in any way, and I have been part of deliverance ministry for many years.

      “This person was a new believer, and they did not know the word. They had suffered under staggeringly horrible abuse as a child. Soon after conversion and attending a church, some congregants involved in a ‘deliverance’ ministry, decided this person needed their services. In their hubristic deliverance approach, they began trying to ‘heal’ and ‘deliver’ this poor person of their past. They heaped a burden onto this tortued soul. They thought they knew enough, but they did not.”

      I don’t know about the details of what went on at that church. I know there are some false ministries that operate by another spirit. Of course, such ministries cause more harm than good. But you seem to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Not every ministry that involves deliverance ministry is bad or detrimental. There are numerous testimonies of people who have benefitted from it. What do you with scriptures where Jesus commands His followers to cast out demons (Luke 10:19; Mark 16:17)?

      That said, I do believe in the gifts of the Spirit and deliverance. Do you deny such things are available for the Body of Christ today?

      “Again, please consider that young mothers with young children are coming to you for insight. You do not know everything about their situation. The wrong advice, and the wrong doctrine could have fatal consequences.”

      Again, I have never had someone tell me that someone committed suicide because of the belief that demonization can be attributed to one’s ancestors. Quite honestly, to believe that such a doctrine can have fatal consequences is absurd, in my opinion. Seriously, you have made this matter bigger than it really is. My doctrine is not a core, or even semi-core, principle of Christianity, but instead is a peripheral doctrine.

      That is good you want to know the truth and not be in error. So do I. But I know no one is infallible when it comes to doctrine. All the more of a reason to seek God for more of His grace.

      We disagree and that is fine. However, I would love to read your explanation to why when one’s ancestors are involved in the occult or witchcraft their descendants are almost always inflicted with mental and emotional issues? What do you think is going? My belief such issues are attributed to demons. I have provided a plethora of anecdotal evidence and testimonies. If you dismiss it, then please explain why.

      In closing, I want to make sure it is clarified of what I mean by generational curse. In this context, I am referring to demons inherited or passed on because of one’s ancestors’ gross sins. In a sense, it’s a “curse” because it is undesirable. I don’t believe evil spirits are used to carry out every single curse. God cursed the ground (Gen. 3:17), does that mean God used demons to carry that out? No.

      I went on your website to try better to get a better understanding of where you are coming from. You have an issue with Bethel church in Redding, California. I do too have an issue with that church. In fact, I have a post on this blog that exposes them.

      Deliverance is real and is for today. Here is video of me casting a demon out of a woman, who is a professing Christian (and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit) https://youtu.be/Supl2guUNgs Again, you are throwing the baby out with the bath water if you want to deny one can pray for deliverance — to expel demons because you have seen false ministries.

      – J. Williams

      Like

      1. I can appreciate your reliance on influence inoculation to substantiate your non-biblical arguments. Forgive me if you are already familiar with the term, influence inoculation, but perhaps some of your readers are not, so a brief explanation is in order.

        Vaccination is the process of introducing a weakened version of an offending agent to a body, which enables it to build up a defense against the full, virulent form of the agent. Influence inoculation is a vaccine against ideas. Just as an influenza vaccine can inoculate someone from the flu, ideas strategically introduced can inoculate people from the influence of competing arguments. A common tactic is to introduce a troublesome issue up-front and head-on to avoid having to argue the point from a defensive posture later. That is what you did when you said,

        “It must be X because the anecdotal evidence suggests it is. Since it doesn’t contradict Scriptures, then a reasonable person should be open to the possibility of X.”

        That was your attempt at a vaccine. Anyone that believes the Scripture is the Word of God also believes that anecdotal evidence never trumps the Bible. You cannot present cogent scriptural arguments to support many of your claims, therefore you have no choice but to offer a weakened version of the problem by attempting to elevate anecdotal evidence hoping it will carry on through the rest of the discussion against a dearth of scriptural support. You are engaging in a smuggling operation. You are trying to quietly smuggle in the idea that your teaching does not contradict Scripture under the loud subject of anecdotal evidence. To be clear, I consider much of what you claim to be in direct contradiction with the Scripture, and I will address that later at a higher resolution than how you discuss curses and possession. And that is the primary problem with the subject of curses—low resolution discussion. In other words, ‘Blessings good, curses bad.’ Yet, curses, as you now admit, only come from God, therefore they can’t be bad. They are holy. They might feel bad, but God is Love and everything He does is righteous. Therefore, His curses are righteous. Christians need to get out of the Harry Potter mentality when discussing biblical judgments.

        Now, before I go on, let me answer a few questions you asked, and some you didn’t.

        I know demons exist.

        I believe in demonic exorcism and that it is for today.

        I am a Pentecostal and firmly believe in the perpetuity of the spiritual gifts, and this because the Scripture says so whether I ever experience or witness them, and I have both often.

        The Scripture says it, so I believe in the spiritual gifts, demons, exorcism and yes, curses—Scripture first, always. Hopefully, that clears up a few things before I move on.

        Some of what I am about to discuss will seem a bit off topic at first, but I will tie it in to our present discussion. I will not address everything in your post, but I might suggest you reread the account of Balaam and my comments on the subject. You don’t seem to be a dishonest person, so I have to believe you read neither as carefully as you could have based on your response. You neither addressed my arguments nor offered any significant ones of your own. Simply saying, “I disagree” is not an argument, it is a statement. If you were to take the time to study the account of Balaam more closely, as well as weigh my arguments, you should be able to come back with a more cogent response. Why don’t you take another run at it? I think you can do better. Shall we get back to Balaam later?

        Years ago, I became interested in the Satanic Ritual Abuse (SRA) mass hysteria that swept the nation in the 1980s and 1990s. Younger readers are probably not familiar with this phenomenon because it became such an embarrassment to the mental health community that they rarely discuss it. The topic became so taboo that Dr. Richard Knoll, psychiatrist, wrote an article for the Psychiatric Times in December 2013 called Speak Memory, which was subsequently republished in March 2014 (assuming my memory of those dates is correct.) In that article, he exhorts the mental health community to remember the Satanic panic, to teach it to new professionals, and not let the problems of that era be forgotten to prevent history from repeating. The article is quite informative and I recommend it.

        The subject is fascinating, and I could discuss it at length, but I will do my best to condense my comments. Tens of thousands of people across the globe, but especially in the US, while in therapy sessions began experiencing what they thought were recovered memories of satanic ritual abuse. The claims seem quite ludicrous now, but they didn’t back then. Many preschools were shut down and teachers put in jail because children were making wild claims of being subjected to ritual abuse. The McMillan preschool trial was a very famous case later made into a movie. At the time I was afraid to death of taking my kids to a preschool.

        People claimed to be recovering memories of witnessing babies killed as sacrifices, ritual rapes, murders, etc., and these so-called recovered memories occurred nearly exclusively in therapy settings. It was the hot topic of talk shows, documentaries, newspapers, magazines. So ubiquitous were the claims that the FBI investigated. After an eight-year investigation, they issued a report in 1992. Here is a link to that report:

        Click to access 136592NCJRS.pdf

        Please notice that is a US government website, and not a hoax.

        I have read the report several times over the years. After this long investigation, they could find not a single case of multigenerational satanic ritual abuse. There was not a shred of evidence to substantiate a single claim of recovered memories of ritual abuse claimed by patients, psychiatrists, phycologists, and counselors. The FBI report sent shock waves throughout the mental health community, and this while many therapists were beginning to question the claims and the therapeutic methods that were contributing to them. Thousands upon thousands of claims by intelligent, educated people were suddenly confronted by cold, hard facts. One fascinating book that deals with the subject is called Second Thoughts: Understanding the False Memory Crisis and How it Could Affect You by Dr. Paul Simpson. He made a substantial part of his living treating people who thought they had been subject to ritual abuse. It took time, but he began to doubt their memories and eventually abandoned the practice recognizing his methods had fostered an environment conducive to false memories. Remarkably, he took the time and effort to contact all his patients to tell them he had been wrong. He is a Christian by the way, and I can’t think of another public example of such serious, forthright repentance. Imagine the liability he opened himself to. It didn’t matter—he determined to do the right thing. I highly recommend the book and chapter 7 focuses on the SRA hysteria. Here is a quote from the FBI Report repeated in the book:

        “Until hard evidence is obtained and corroborated, the public should not be frightened into believing that babies are being bred and eaten, that 50,000 missing children are being murdered in human sacrifices, or the Satanists are taking over America‘s daycare centers or institutions. No one can prove with absolute certainty that such activity has not occurred. The burden of proof, however, as it would be in a criminal prosecution, is on those who claim that it has occurred. The explanation that the Satanists are too organized and law-enforcement is too incompetent only goes so far in explaining the lack of evidence. For at least eight years American law enforcement has been aggressively investigating the allegations of victims of ritual abuse. There is little or no evidence for the portion of their allegations that deals with large scale baby breeding, human sacrifice, and organized satanic conspiracies. Now it is up to the mental health professionals, not law enforcement, to explain why victims are alleging things that don’t seem to have happened.”

        Many protested the FBI report and its claim there was no evidence. In fact, many said this was proof the FBI was part of the conspiracy along with the police, courts, churches, etc. When people commit to ideas based on emotion and seductive outcomes instead of through a process of critical thinking, it is nearly impossible to get them to utilize critical thinking to see the truth. The emotional strings to those ideas are painful to discard. The problem is, the more people involved in actual conspiracies, the less secret they are—the bigger the conspiracy, the less likely it is real. The emotions connected to those false recovered memories of satanic ritual abuse were so intense, they could not let them go. To be fair, I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to experience these false memories, have them validated by a therapist, only to have the world’s preeminent investigative agency release a report claiming there is no evidence. That was a very distasteful Red Pill. One of the most difficult things in life is to suddenly or gradually realize you have been horribly wrong in your thinking—it’s painful.

        Here is another quote from Paul Simpson’s book where he includes some comments by an investigative team, Bob and Gretchen Passantino, who run a Christian ministry that focuses on the occult and educating Christians about fraudulent claims:

        “Since 1989, we have done a thorough investigation of Satanic ritual abuse SRA, interviewed hundreds of people who believe they are adult survivors and interviewed almost all of the principles on both sides of the issue…. We are convinced that the bulk of SRA phenomenon is the result of directed, inappropriate therapeutic techniques and not a reflection of what is actually happening in the real world.”

        “…inappropriate therapeutic techniques.”

        We could easily substitute this phrase with ‘inappropriate ministry techniques.’

        With the SRA panic, we are talking about a mountain of anecdotal evidence from highly educated, intelligent and professional people who were confronted by a human FBI report. You are presenting a molehill of anecdotal evidence and are confronted by God’s document—The Bible. The more I direct the conversation to what the Bible does or does not say, the more you elevate anecdotal evidence. That is a distinct signal. It signals you are operating outside the bounds of Scripture.

        It is obvious you are a highly intelligent and well-educated person. However, many of those mental health professionals were extremely intelligent and eminently educated. The people they were trying to help were convinced their experiences were absolutely real—but they weren’t. Many of the former quietly tip-toed away from the practice, but a few true-believers kept at it, but did so under the radar.

        Back to, “It must be X because the anecdotal evidence suggests it is. Since it doesn’t contradict Scriptures, then a reasonable person should be open to the possibility of X.”

        Let me zero-in on your smuggling operation: “Since it doesn’t contradict Scriptures, then a reasonable person should be open to the possibility of X.”

        If we were considering beginning a church softball team for fun and maybe even as an outreach, then it would be reasonable to suggest if it doesn’t contradict Scripture, then a reasonable person should be open to it. The Scripture doesn’t directly speak about participating in sporting events, therefore indeed a reasonable person should be open to it. However, we are not talking about sports or eating sushi or going to movies. We are discussing invoking the Name of Jesus to dispel supernatural forces in the form of curses of which the Bible has much to say as compared to softball teams. Therefore, I assert, a reasonable person should make every effort to ensure they are involved with the truth, and frankly I think your arguments are unreasonably caviler. You are attempting to engage in the supernatural while admitting (erroneously) the Scripture does not address what you are doing. That is not reasonable—it is reckless.

        Let’s consider The Word became Flesh and one of His curses. Are you suggesting that it was demons that withered the fig tree? Jesus needed demons to fulfill His curse? Are you suggesting when God told Abraham, “I will curse those that curse you” He relied upon demons to fulfill His curses?

        I am very familiar with this idea that generational curses are demons passed down generations. I have studied this very closely from Genesis to Revelation and cannot find a single hint of demons being passed from the parents to the children. In fact, we see cases of parents bringing their children to Jesus and his disciples to deliver them of demons, yet never a single hint of what you claim as fact. Jesus could have confronted any demonically fulfilled generational curses right then and there, but didn’t. You are simply piling on a lot of demonic folklore and then claiming the Bible doesn’t speak of it specifically, therefore, we can trust the anecdotal evidence. I could claim that unicorns are responsible for fulfilling God’s curses and have just as much biblical evidence as you that generational curses are demons being passed down through families. I have dealt with this argument before and it is an empty well. There is not a hint of evidence that demons are passed down as curses to children. Zero.

        Consider what Dr. Paul Simpson said about his own journey out of error:

        “Early in my search to better understand my regression beliefs and practices, I knew there wasn’t any biblical support (special revelation) for my position. But I figured that it could still be true because it was scientific (general revelation). “Repressed memories and regression techniques are scientific realities! Even though the Bible doesn’t mention them, it doesn’t mean they aren’t real! Lots of scientific discoveries aren’t noted in the Bible, but they’re part of God’s created order nonetheless. Just because the atomic bomb and the polio vaccine aren’t named in Scripture doesn’t mean they don’t exist.”

        But there’s a problem with this line of thinking. Atomic bombs and polio vaccines are scientific fact, open to verification by anyone. But in sharp contrast, my search revealed that regressionism was anything but scientific. This is what we discussed in the first half of this book regression theory is not scientifically valid and regression techniques constitute mental health fraud. On the first test, regressionism fails God’s general revelation.”

        Dr. Simpson then goes on to address the second test, special revelation—the Scripture—and does a marvelous job of Biblically discounting the new practice of regressionism. In your case, Mr. Williams, you have already argued the Scripture does not discuss what you practice. You in fact tout your molehill of anecdotal evidence and of that of the so-called experts. It is a cult of groupthink and challenges are to be fought with unicorns.

        What do I mean by, “fought with unicorns”? The Bible doesn’t speak about unicorns. You could substitute each of your ‘demonically fulfilled generational curses’ with unicorns and come up with the same results. The Bible doesn’t speak of demonically fulfilled generational curses and neither does it speak of unicorns. You can’t biblically prove unicorns don’t exist, you suggest neither can you prove demonically fulfilled generational curses don’t exist. Your argument is:

        “The Bible doesn’t say demonically fulfilled generational curses don’t exist. Therefore, we will instead rely upon my anecdotal evidence. Trust me, it’s real.”

        Deuteronomy 28 lists the Lord’s curses and is perhaps one of the most fearsome passages to read in all the Bible. The Lord is frighteningly explicit in describing His curses. Doesn’t it seem reasonable that if He would send generational curses in the form of multigenerational demonic possession, He would have mentioned it here? Why would the Lord go into all this fearsome detail and leave out what you claim as truth?

        Let’s be clear, if what you claim is true, we are talking about a mammoth spiritual truth. Anyone that has parents, grandparents, or great grandparents that have sinned should assume they have demons—sent by God to innocent children. If this were true, why would the Lord not mention in Deuteronomy or anywhere else that demon possession is God’s fulfilled generational curses? Did He forget? Is it possible you are concerned with something that He is not in the least bit concerned with, therefore He didn’t mention it anywhere in Scripture? A reasonable person should consider this as a possibility.

        Once again from the FBI report:

        “There is little or no evidence for the portion of their allegations that deals with large scale baby breeding, human sacrifice, and organized satanic conspiracies. Now it is up to the mental health professionals, not law enforcement, to explain why victims are alleging things that don’t seem to have happened.”

        It was up to those individuals conducting the therapy sessions to explain why there was no evidence to support the claims. It is up to you, Mr. Williams, to explain why your non-biblical, anecdotal claims are not mentioned by the Lord. They claimed anecdotal evidence also, but the facts did not support their seductive conclusions.

        In your last post you wrote:

        “Again, I believe all curses ultimately comes from God. But operating or carrying out some curses are evil spirits. What you said doesn’t contradict my doctrine.”

        If this is true, why did you offer the story of Balaam as an example of a Satanic curse? You are swimming back and forth in the pool looking for something that floats. It’s not what I said that contradicts your doctrine, it’s what you said.

        Now, a higher resolution discussion of curses and demon possession. Jesus did not break any curses—He is the issuer of them. Curses come only from God therefore, He is not going to break His own judgments. This is easily proved from Galatians.

        You chafe at my insistence that the Scripture does not address breaking generational curses insinuating I am arguing from the negative. In other words,

        ‘The absence of curse breaking examples doesn’t prove we should not break them.’

        Stated more classically, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. However, I am not arguing only from the negative. Galatians 3:13 says:

        “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”

        Notice it does not say He broke the curse of the Law. It says He became the curse. Also, notice verse 13 is stated in the past tense. Compare this to three verses earlier:

        “For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.””
        Galatians 3:10

        This is Paul, referring to the curse of the Law in the present tense. Therefore, this proves Jesus did not break it. Three verses later, Paul references the curse again. Does it seem likely he was discussing a different kind of curse in this singular discussion? Anyone trying to argue he was, has a hard row to hoe. Regardless, this verse argues to the positive that the curse was not broken. Therefore, we have not only negative evidence but also have positive evidence that the Bible has no discussion of breaking any type of curse whether you want to frame it as demon-fulfilled or not, and whether you want discuss it as break or deliver.

        Jesus broke the power of Satan

        Jesus did not break the power of His curse.

        Jesus cast demons out of people.

        Jesus did not cast out His curses. He became the curse for us.

        Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s