1. The word “angel” means “messenger.” It comes from the Greek word aggelos. The equivalent Hebrew word mal’ak has the same meaning.
2. They are created beings. In Colossians 1:16-17 it reads (speaking of Jesus): “For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.“
3. They all worship God and Jesus Christ. In Revelation 7:11 the Bible reads “All the angels stood around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God,” and in Hebrews 1:6 it reads “But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says:’Let all the angels of God worship Him.'” Since spirit guides or ascended masters usually associated with people involved with the New Age don’t point to the Creator Jesus Christ it is apparent they are of satan. Remember even satan can transform as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14).
4. They were there when the earth was created. God said In Job 38:4-7 4 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. 5 Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? 6 To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone,7 When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy?“
5. The number of angels are very great. Hebrews 12:22 22 “But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels,” and Revelation 5:11-12 11 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, 12 saying with a loud voice:“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain To receive power and riches and wisdom, And strength and honor and glory and blessing!”
6. They can take the appearance of men. The angels who rescued Lot and his family from Sodom and Gomorrah were so convincing appeared as men that the males of the city wanted to have sexual relations with them (Read Genesis 9:1-9). In Hebrews 13:2 it reads “2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.”
7. They don’t look like babies. There is no scripture that reads angels looked like winged babies.
8. Some kinds of angels do have wings. In Isaiah 6 it reads “2 Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.” Also the cherubims cover the mercy seat with its wings (Exodus 25:20)
9. They are much stronger than men. 2 Peter 2:11 reads “11 whereas angels, who are greater in power and might, do not bring a reviling accusation against them before the Lord.” Also read Psalms 103:20 and 2 Thessalonians 1:7.
10. Angels don’t marry nor reproduce (read Matthew 22:30).
11. There are twice as many good angels as there are fallen angels. In Revelation 12:4 it reads “4 His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to give birth, to devour her Child as soon as it was born.”
12. When a sinner repents the angels in heaven actually rejoice. Shows their concern for human affairs. Jesus said in Luke 15:10 “10 Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
13. Angels actually sometimes aid people in conflict or battle and war with satan and his angels. In 2 Kings 6:17-20 Elisha had angels with chariots fighting with him. In Daniel 10:13, 20 an angel spoke to Daniel and said “13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia….20 Then he said, ‘Do you know why I have come to you? And now I must return to fight with the prince of Persia; and when I have gone forth, indeed the prince of Greece will come.‘” The Bible refers to God as the LORD of hosts. The angels are His hosts and the word “hosts” comes from the Hebrew word “tsaba” which means army.
14. Angels praise God. If you ever what you will be doing in heaven well there it is. Angels worship in reverence, in humility, and unceasingly (read Isaiah 6).
15. Angels can impart strength to men and encourage. Angels strengthened Jesus after His temptation (Matthew 4:11) and encouraged the apostles to keep preaching after releasing them from prison (Acts 5:19-20).
16. Angels eat food. Psalm 78:25 “25 Men ate angels’ food; He sent them food to the full.”
17. Angels guide people. Angels gave instructions to Joseph in a dream about the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1-2), to the women at the tomb (Matthew 28:5-7), to Philip (Acts 8:26), and to Cornelius (Acts 10:1-8)
18. Angels have provided food. God has used angels to provide physical needs such as food for Hagar (Genesis 21:17-20), Elijah (1 Kings 19:6), and the Lord Jesus Christ after His temptation (Matthew 4:11)
19. Angels protect. When Daniel was accused and put in a lion’s den he said “My God sent His angel and shut the lions’ mouths, so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him; and also, O king, I have done no wrong before you (Read Daniel 6).”
20. They care for the saved after death. Jesus spoke about a beggar named Lazarus who died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom (read Luke 16:19-31).
21. Each church may have an angel. Revelation 1:20 “20 The mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches.“
22. Worship of angels is forbidden (Colossians 2:18) and good angels will always deny worship (Revelation 19:10) as opposed to satan and his angels who desire it (Luke 4:7). The Bible commands people only to pray to God or Jesus (read Luke 11:1-13) and never to angels.
23. They have free will, intelligence, emotions, etc. Certain angels chose to leave their habitation and now are in chains until Judgment Day (Jude 1:6). Even Satan and his angels fear and tremble before God (James 2:19).
24. Jesus said He could have called 12 legions of angels. A legion is believed to be 6,000. Do the math, that’s 72,000!
25. Heirs of salvation have angels. Hebrews 1:14 “14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?” and Jesus said about children “10Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven (Matthew 18:10).”
26. Angels have an interest in human affairs. 1 Corinthians 4:9 “9 For I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last, as men condemned to death; for we have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men“. In 1 Peter 1:12 it reads “12 To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into.“
27. The Lord Jesus Christ gives believers authority over the bad angels and the power to overcome them: “17 Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.”18 And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. 20 Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven (Luke 10:17-20).” In Revelation 12:10-11 it reads “10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.“
28. Bad angels will lie and deceive. Jesus said about satan:”He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it (8:44).”How would know if the angel is a bad angel? If the angel preaches a different message than the Bible. Galatians 1:8 reads” 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.” The Bible also reads satan masquerades or disguises himself: “14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:4).”
29. Even the bad angels will bow down in worship and confess Jesus Christ is Lord. In Revelation 5 it reads “13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:“Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!” Also read Philippians 2:10.
30. Satan and his angels will eventually be thrown into the Lake of Fire. In Revelation 20:10 it reads “10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.” Also read Matthew 25:41. Praise God!
If you don’t know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you can receive Him into your heart, and He can deliver you from darkness and sin and have your name written in His Book of Life.
If you are sincere you can say this simple prayer to the Father (it doesn’t have to be word for word):
“God, I recognize that I have not lived my life for You up until now. I have been living for myself and that is wrong. Please forgive me of all of my sins just as I forgive others. I need You in my life; I want You in my life. I acknowledge the completed work of Your only begotten Son Jesus Christ in giving His life for me on the cross, I believe in my heart Jesus is Lord and was raised from the dead and I long to receive the forgiveness you have made freely available to me through this sacrifice. Come into my life now, Lord. Take up residence in my heart and be my king, my Lord, and my Savior. From this day forward, I will no longer be controlled by sin, or the desire to please myself, but I will follow You all the days of my life. Those days are in Your hands. I ask this in the Lord and GOD Jesus’ precious and holy name. Amen.”