When evangelizing, I have come across several people who responded to me that Jesus traveled to India or somewhere to the East. Some say during his so-called “lost years” or “silent years” (ages 12-29) Jesus traveled outside of Israel to glean the wisdom from sages, wise men, Gurus, Buddhists, and the masters of mystery religions (some claim that Jesus did not actually die on the cross as the Bible reveals, but instead somehow escaped the crucifixion and traveled to another land). After learning from these gurus, He taught the doctrines He learned from them. Many who believe such fantastical tales are usually New Agers and Hindus. Such people reinterpret the Gospel teachings of Jesus to make it appear that Jesus really taught New Age “truths.” Other says that the long-lost (New Age) teachings of Jesus have been “rediscovered.”
Such claims that Jesus went to India or the east have been made in a New Age book called The Aquarian Gospel which was channeled by Levi Dowling. Channeling has been exposed as demonic! He claimed to have received the information from the Akashic Records (a supposed nonphysical library of information). The information Levi received was without a doubt from the demons. It seemed Levi opened himself to the demons by getting involved in meditation, a huge demonic door opener:
This book was first published in 1908; the publisher’s back cover copy states that “After forty years of study and silent meditation, Levi reached a state of spiritual consciousness that permitted hiim to enter the domain of these superfine ethers and interpret their mysteries. He found that every thought of every living thing is recorded in these ethers. These, then, are the ‘akashic records’ from which Levi transcribed his great edgwork.” The book is divided (in biblical style) into 22 “Sections,” then into chapters (which go throughout the book rather than “re-setting” with each new section), and verses; each chapter has a helpful summary preceding it.Source
Elizabeth Clare Prophet (1939-2009) is another one who made such claims about Jesus. She was the founder and leader of the New Age cult, the Church Universal and Triumphant, which from what I have gathered believes in the guidance of the disembodied Saint Germain and the “ascended masters.”
Such claims made were also made by Holger Kersten’s Jesus Lived in India: His Unknown Life Before and After Crucifixion (1994). A Russian named Nicolas Notovitch made such a claim too, but there has been no evidence supporting his claim. Also, Shirley Maclaine’s made such claim in Out on a Limb, and so did Janet Bock’s in The Jesus Mystery. Just like Levi, Edgar Cayce, who was a medium (was no doubt demon possessed), obtained his “revelations” from the Akashic Records that Jesus went to India. False prophets Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, and Sai Baba also claimed Jesus went to India.
Isn’t it interesting a lot of the people who made such claim were involved in the New Age or Hinduism?
So let’s test the claim Jesus went to India or anywhere else to the East with the scriptures for it is the standard of truth.
- Jesus didn’t teach God was pantheistic (all is God), which is prevalent in eastern cultures. Jesus frequently referenced and quoted the Jewish Old Testament scriptures which affirms monotheism. The Old Testament scriptures adamantly condemns serving other gods. Jesus’ character and teachings was thoroughly Jewish. There was no eastern flavor to His teachings. Nor did Jesus endorse any secret or esoteric teachings.
- Jesus would have been vilified and disparaged by the religious leaders who hated Him if His teachings were from pagan nations. Learning about other gods and doctrines contrary to the Jewish scriptures would have been used against Him.
- Jesus was born in Bethlehem (Matt. 2:1-2), grew up in Nazareth (Luke 2:39-52), ministered throughout Galilea, Judea, and places around there (Matt. 4:12-25). The only time He was a far from Israel was when He was in Egypt with His parents as a baby (Matt. 2:12-15; 19-21).
- In Matt. 13:54-55 it reads, “54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?55 Is not this the carpenter’s son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?” It reads as they saw Jesus grow as they knew His family. Jesus answered their questions with “A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house” (verse 57).
- In Luke 4:16 it reads, “16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.” It reads Jesus was brought up in Nazareth and would go to the synagogue every sabbath day.
- Modern mainstream Christian scholarship has rejected any travels by Jesus to India, Tibet or areas roundabout as without any historical foundation.
Satan’s kingdom pushes a false Jesus, since a false Jesus can’t save anyone. Every cult and false religion distorts who Jesus really is, from Islam, to Jehovah’s Witnesses, to Hinduism, to the New Age. The Bible warns about the preaching of another Jesus (2 Cor. 11:4). Jesus said satan is a liar and the father of lies (John 8:44). Satan’s kingdom wants to downgrade Jesus to a mere sage or wise man. But the truth is Jesus is Almighty God who created all things (Rev. 1:8; Col. 1:15-16).
If you don’t know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you can receive Him into your heart, and He can deliver you from darkness and sin and have your name written in His Book of Life.
If you are sincere you can say this simple prayer to the Father (it doesn’t have to be word for word):
“God, I recognize that I have not lived my life for You up until now. I have been living for myself and that is wrong. Please forgive me of all of my sins just as I forgive others. I need You in my life; I want You in my life. I acknowledge the completed work of Your only begotten Son Jesus Christ in giving His life for me on the cross, I believe in my heart Jesus is Lord and was raised from the dead and I long to receive the forgiveness you have made freely available to me through this sacrifice. Come into my life now, Lord. Take up residence in my heart and be my king, my Lord, and my Savior. From this day forward, I will no longer be controlled by sin, or the desire to please myself, but I will follow You all the days of my life. Those days are in Your hands. I ask this in the Lord and GOD Jesus’ precious and holy name. Amen.”